Tuesday 20 September 2016

Collage Exercise





Scale
As I don't have many source pictures in class, so I will test the effect of applying scale technique to this real-person image.

Although I was thinking that scale technique may be better applied in some solid goods other than human face.

Anyway, let’s try!

1.     I scaled up and down the size of his eyes and paste around his original eyes.
2.     Then, I scale down the size of his hand, and paste around his mouth  
3.     The change and effect of scale is not very obvious, this is probably I did too much and was looking forward some artistic effect. But the final outcome looks abundant in layers.
4.      Yes, the end product looks cool.
5.     The new smaller eyes actually looks like a eyebrow of the model  

Abstraction?
The final product actually has some sense of abstraction in inside. Because it doesn’t work in a way that people will normally shape. Normal pictures won't have 3 or 4 hands and a few pair of eyes.

That’s why I would like to say it is abstract.

In week 4 we learnt from  Jan Verwoert  that what forces people to go into abstraction. She mentions that abstraction is something beyond belief because they are manifestations of structural plotting alone. It is beyond the shape life in cities with the physical force.

I think it is quite interesting to think about the reason behind why I created something abstract. Maybe I am also looking for something beyond shaped everyday life.

 
Repetition 

My source for repetition is also a real person’s face image. At first, his artistic and exaggerated eye make up attract me. Hence I was thinking maybe I can do something to his eye make-up

Design process.
1.     I photocopied another 2 set and cut the eye, as I feel the eye is the most impactful and artistic element in the original copy.
2.     Then I pasted them beside the original eyes.
3.     We can notice, as a result, the new image with repetition becomes even more impactful. Probably because now we have 3 sets of the impactful eyes now. The few layers looks like a butterfly mask, surrounded around the man's face.



So the original source of my deconstruction is a flying bird. I choose this image because it has a pair of bright and beautiful wings. Hence when I looked at this image, I wan to do something to the bird’s wings.



What will happen if I deconstruct all his wings into pieces? Will the pink looks better in separate parts? With such thoughts, I started cutting.


Deconstruction 
—I actually enjoyed the moment of cutting the feathers apart, there is a feeling of ' I am creating something' during that process
- The image changed totally, with destruction, the new image has a feeling of 'separate' and that's what I am looking for
- I was looking forward some 'separation' and 'disorder', or probably 'disobey of the rules'. So you can't tell what the image is in the first look. But while looking at it, you feel interesting. 


And I think the blank white part of the paper doesn't make a good contrast in color. It just looks blank. Hence if those blank parts can be filled with repetition, I believe the final outcome will look even better.

 

See you next week :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment