Sunday 11 September 2016

Line exercise


 

0. The Original - So this is my chosen image, a fashion magazine cover in black and white. Fashionable and elegant. Let's see what happened after I turned it into purely lines. 
 

1. The Outline - Firstly I just traced the outline, without looking at the original image, we still can probably guess that this is a person's figure. You can see the hat, the scarf, and the face's shape. Hence the outline ensures that we know what is happening there. However, we are unable to know the details. We won't be able to know that is this person smiling? crying? or making any kind of facial expression.  

 2. The Detail - Then I chose to trace the eyes and the mouth of that lady. However, as she has a pretty thick make-up and eyeliners, the effect come with only thin lines are pretty interesting. The eye doesn't look like an eye and the lip also doesn't look like a lip. This probably shows how important is thickness important in images.


 3. The everything - Fine, I know this looks scary. In fact I was scared by the effect after I finished line tracing. In fact, my favorite part is the net covered on the lady's face. However, out of my expectation, it turned strange with purely lines! Shock.


 4. The thickness - After adding thicker lines and dots, finally we can see a better image. The emphasis of the net stand out. With thickness of lines, the expression of this image is very clear. Thanks to thick lines!

However, as compare to the original image, the line drawing lacks of shadows and light. Hence with only lines, the image tend to be more flat as compare to the original version


No comments:

Post a Comment